For an instrument with such an illustrious history, the clarinet is relatively new to the unaccompanied scene. Excluding the Stadler Caprices and Donizetti Studie, there are virtually no works for solo clarinet until the 20th century.
Here are 20 standard works for solo clarinet from the 20th century, arranged alphabetically. I have chosen these pieces for their historical significance and importance within the clarinet repertoire. By no means is this intended to serve as a comprehensive list of unaccompanied clarinet repertoire from the 20th century. These are milestone works of clarinet literature, and there are countless other masterpieces written for solo clarinet.
- Malcolm Arnold – Fantasy for Clarinet, Op. 87 (1966)
- Luciano Berio – Sequenza IXa (1980)
- Pierre Boulez – Domaines (1968-1969)
- Louis Cahuzac – Arlequin (1958)
- Elliott Carter – Gra (1993)
- Edison Denisov – Sonata for Clarinet Solo (1972)
- Franco Donatoni – Clair (1980)
- Ida Gotkovsky – Sonate pour clarinet solo (1986)
- André Jolivet – Ascèses for Solo Clarinet (1967)
- Sigfrid Karg-Elert – Sonata for Solo Clarinet, Op. 110 (1925)
- Béla Kovács – Hommages series (1994)
- Meyer Kupferman – Moonflowers, Baby! (1986)
- Libby Larsen – Dancing Solo (1994)
- Donald Martino – A Set for Clarinet (1954)
- Eric Mandat – Etude for Barney (1990)
- John Mayer – Raga Music (1957-1958)
- William O. Smith – Five Pieces for Clarinet Alone (1959)
- Igor Stravinsky – Three Pieces (1919)
- Heinrich Sutermeister – Capriccio (1946)
- Jörg Widmann – Fantasie (1993)
Leave a comment below with pieces that you would include on your list!