One of the best parts about playing the clarinet is the wonderful repertoire written for the instrument. From classical to jazz (and every genre in between), there will never be a shortage of great clarinet music.
The plethora of clarinet repertoire can be overwhelming, so I’ve compiled a list of 50 pieces that every serious clarinetist should know. Hopefully, you will have the opportunity to perform many of these pieces during your clarinet careers. In the meantime, it’s important to recognize these pieces and to know about their history and significance within the clarinet repertoire.
Most of these scores can be accessed via the IMSLP (International Music Score Library Project) Petrucci Music Library online, and with services like YouTube, you have no excuse NOT to know these pieces!
So grab a coffee, pull out your scores, and get to listening!
Solo, Concerto, Sonata
- Bernstein – Sonata for Clarinet and Piano
- Brahms – Sonata No. 1 in f minor, Op. 120, No. 1
- Brahms – Sonata No. 2 in E-flat major, Op. 120, No. 2
- Copland – Concerto
- Debussy – Première rhapsodie
- Françaix – Concerto
- Hindemith – Sonata
- Mozart – Concerto in A Major, K. 622
- Nielsen – Concerto, Op. 57
- Poulenc – Sonata for Clarinet and Piano
- Rossini – Introduction, Theme and Variations
- Saint-Saens – Sonata, Op. 167
- Schumann – Fantasy Pieces, Op. 73
- Stravinsky – Three Pieces
- Carl Stamitz – Concerto No. 3 in B-flat major
- Weber – Concertino, Op. 26
- Weber – Concerto in f minor, Op. 73
- Weber – Concerto in E-flat major, Op. 74
- Béla Bartók – Contrasts, Sz. 111, BB 116
- Beethoven – Trio in B-flat major, Op. 11
- Beethoven – Septet in E-flat major, Op. 20
- Brahms – Trio in A minor, Op. 114
- Brahms – Quintet in B minor, Op. 115
- Mendelssohn – Konzertstück No. 1 in F major, Op. 113
- Mendelssohn – Konzertstück No. 2 in D minor, Op. 114
- Messiaen – Quatuor pour la fin du temps
- Mozart – Kegelstatt Trio in E-flat major, K. 498
- Mozart – Quintet in A major, K. 581
- Poulenc – Sonata for Two Clarinets
- Schubert – Shepherd on the Rock, D. 965
- Schumann – Fairy Tales, Op. 132
- Stravinsky – l’Histoire du Soldat
- Weber – Quintet in B-flat major, Op. 34
- Bartók – The Miraculous Mandarin, Op. 19, Sz. 73 BB 82
- Beethoven – Symphony No. 4 in B-flat major, Op. 60
- Beethoven – Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op. 68
- Beethoven – Symphony No. 8 in F Major, Op. 93
- Brahms – Symphony No. 3 in F major, Op. 90
- Brahms – Symphony No. 4 in E minor, Op. 98
- Gershwin – Rhapsody in Blue
- Kodály – Dances of Galánta
- Mendelssohn – A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Op. 61
- Prokofiev – Peter and the Wolf, Op. 67
- Rachmaninoff – Symphony No. 2 in e minor, Op. 27
- Ravel – Daphnis et Chloé
- Respighi – Pines of Rome
- Rimsky-Korsakov – Capriccio espagnol, Op. 34
- Rimsky-Korsakov – Scheherazade Op. 35
- Shostakovich – Symphony No. 9 in E-flat major, Op. 70
- Stravinsky – Firebird
Here is a downloadable list with these 50 pieces, along with space for you to add your own pieces to the list.
Leave a comment below with any pieces you think every clarinetist should know!
For even more suggestions, check out my 50 More Pieces Every Clarinetist Should Know.