Create a clarinet time capsule
Maybe it’s just me, but doesn’t it seem like this year has felt like an eternity? I know that time will eventually pass, so I thought it would be a fun idea to create a clarinet time capsule to look back upon in the future.
If you’ve never made a time capsule, it’s super simple! All you have to do is collect items or other memorabilia from the present and put it away for a set amount of time. (Just make sure you keep your time capsule somewhere you’re not tempted to peek before you’re supposed to!)
You can add whatever you like to your clarinet time capsule, but here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- a note to your future self
- concert, recital, performance, or teaching photos from this year
- a list of your current favorite solos, warm-ups, method books, or other music
- favorite composer(s) at the moment
- favorite performer(s) at the moment
- repertoire you’re learning
- your current clarinet setup
- write down your musical strengths and weaknesses
- write a journal entry describing where you are in your musical journey
- create a list of clarinet and musical goals you hope to accomplish in 1, 5, 10, or more years
- concert programs or tickets from this year
- quotes from your friends, teachers, or colleagues
- memorabilia from your school or university (stickers, t-shirt, lanyard, etc)
If you want to go high tech, you can also create a Q&A style questionnaire on your social media platforms. Most social media have “on this day” features which show you what you posted on this day in years past, so you’ll get to see your musical memories every year.
I hope you have fun doing this activity and revisiting it in the future. What other items will you put in your clarinet time capsule?